Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Neath Port Talbot
Remote wooded site near the head of the Neath Valley approx. 1.5km SE of Blaengwrach and Cwmgwrach; close to the site of a disused coal mine. The farm is approached from the east and reached along lanes and farm tracks
Early C17 origins - known to have been owned by Morgan (Llen) Llewelyn in 1601, descending through several generations to 1728 when it was owned by Rhys Morgan and tenanted by Rhys Daniel. C19 alterations, modern roof and subsequently fallen into disrepair. Secured after abandonment, inaccessible due to opencast mining. All windows and doors blocked with cement blocks.
Single-storey rubble built farmhouse set end on to the slope; formerly limewashed. Metal sheet roof with red brick end chimney stacks. 4-bay front with blocked up windows, one to left of the off-centre entrance and two to the right. C19 lean-to porch, later raised with metal sheet roof; the main doorway within had Tudor dripmould. Upper end wall has one window to right. Rear has added lean-to to right. Lower end has window each floor to left, lower one with slate dripstone, tiny loft window to right and a door in end of lean-to.
The original plan-form was of a two-unit direct-entry house of some grandeur in that the outer room was heated as well as the hall. Central stairs appeared to be an early introduction although now altered. The main C17 features which have said to have survived are five stop-chamfered beams, quarter-round moulded door surrounds and one, 3-light, diamond mullionded, window. Fireplaces altered; stepped chimney breast to downhill end. 5-bay collar truss roof. Attic floor lost over hall.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special interest as a surviving early C17 vernacular farmhouse.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]