Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of Saint Michael  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
Situated some 600m E of the A40 in the centre of Rudbaxton just NW of Great Rudbaxton.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

Anglican parish church, medieval fabric with surviving detail late C15 or C16. Vaulted base to tower which has late medieval W window, nave probably earlier than chancel and vaulted S porch which may be late C15. Porch stands just W of the S aisle, which is therefore probably later, early C16. The Howard or Hayward family memorial of the late C17 is one of the finest in the county, it seems to have been erected by Joanna wife of the Rev James Howard before her death. Altered in 1845 by Ewan Christian, when chancel arch was rebuilt and the roofs replaced. The E window looks of c1860. Restored again 1892 by R. G. Pinder of Bournemouth, who replaced all the roofs and refitted much of the interior. William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, and advisor to Charles I was rector 1622-6.  

Anglican parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs. W tower, single-roofed nave and chancel, S porch, and parallel S aisle. Tower has been lime rendered 2000. Battered plinth, shaft and corbelled flat parapet. Small cusped flat-headed bell-lights, a blocked single light on S and pair to W. The pair on N and single one on E are altered. Plain rectangular louvred openings deep-set at mid height on three sides. Small C15 pointed 2-light W window, cusped heads to lights and hexagon over. NE stair tower with splayed W side and top chamfered in under bell-stage. S porch has broad pointed entry with rough stone voussoirs and jambs. Painted plastered stone vault within, slate flagged floor, arched inner doorway, C20 door. Medieval stoup to right of door. S aisle has rebated SW corner, walls without batter to bases. Tiny blocked ogee-traceried single light at W end. Three S 3-light C15 or C16 flat-headed Bath stone windows with hoods and cusped lights, the right one with damaged carved heads to angles of hoodmould. Between second and third windows is a blocked C17 ovolo-moulded 2-light mullion window. Sundial on SE corner dated 1680 or 1689. E blocked 3-light similar window with hood, offset to right. Relieving arch over. Chancel E end has mid C19 Bath stone window of 2 cusped lights with sexfoil. Cut stone voussoirs look early C19. Chancel N has blocked small late medieval 2-light with flat head, pointed uncusped lights, set to extreme right. Small step in wall to right, marking nave. Nave N wall has battered base and two C19 copies of 3-light S aisle windows.  

Tower has high plastered shallow curved ceiling, possibly stone vault. Small pointed door to N stair, pointed plastered arch to nave. Four-bay arcade in grey stone, 2 bays to nave and 2 to chancel, of roughly cambered arches on round piers with plain chamfered caps and bases. Pier between is chamfered towards aisle and has similar cap and base. Painted plastered walls, plain pointed plastered chancel arch. All roofs of 1892, boarded with arch braced collar trusses on stone corbels, the collars and wallplates ornamented with brattishing. Fittings: In chancel arch each side a large carved head corbel, male with a circlet around hair and a female, both much restored and presumably reset. C12 rectangular large scalloped font with darts between scallops, on round shaft with moulded base. Mid C20 oak pulpit with Gothic blind tracery panels. Nave simple pine pews and chancel stalls of 1892, earlier painted grained pews in aisle. Painted grained simple Gothic open rails on both W and S sides of sanctuary. Stained Glass: Nave N first window Lamb of God 1997 by Celtic Yard, third window by same, St Francis, 2001. S aisle: SS Catherine, Michael and Leonard, to William and Martha Owen of Withybush, early C20 by R.J. Newbery. E window has mid C19 coloured patterned glass with painted glass IHS monogram in sunburst and Gothic foliate motifs in upper sexfoil. Monuments: Nave N: large inscribed slab to David James of Roswell (d 1767); Patrick Clement (d 1835) pedestal-type plaque by D. Lloyd of Nevern; Thomas Phillips of Kilbarth (d 1828) and wife (d 1840), plaque by J. Thomas of Haverfordwest. Chancel floor slabs to Jane Hayward (d 1699) and Maj. Gen. John Picton of Poyston (d 1815). Chancel N wall metal plaque to W.S. Owen of Withybush (d 1909); Martha H. Owen (d 1885); William Owen, the noted Haverfordwest architect (d 1879), plaque by Currie of Oxford St; Hannah Scott (d 1798), tall neo-classical plaque with urn and scroll sides; Samuel Phelps (d 1827) neo-Grec plaque with urn; C20 brass plate to Archbishop William Laud; plaque to Thomas Picton of Poyston (d 1790), his wife (d 1806) and daughter (d 1830); twin slate memorials to Thomas Picton and John Picton, (both d 1727) with low-relief skulls in corners and oval plaques; slate plaque to Eliza Warren (d 1789). Howard or Hayward of Fletherhill family memorial filling E wall of S aisle, monumental scale. Three recesses with full length figures bearing skulls, well-carved and splendidly dressed, James (d 1668) and Joanna Howard in centre, George (d 1665) to left, and Thomas (d 1682) and Mary (d 1685) to right. Outer recesses are arch-headed, centre has 3-sided head. Carved leaf sprays in spandrels, cornice and swan-neck pediment with armorial cartouche. S aisle S wall: Rev. J. Owen (d 1907) metal plaque; William Meredith (d 1770) grey and white marble with broken pediment and urn; G.L. Owen (d 1905) brass plaque; General William Picton (d 1811) plaque in black frame with triangular white marble head, inscription relating military career including service at siege of Gibraltar 1782; Henry Owen (d 1909), brass plaque; Major-Gen John Picton (d 1815), white marble with crudely carved lion over, against top part with oval shield and standards; long slate plaque with small marble urn and scrolls to Lt J. Warlow (d1827) and mother (d 1832). W wall recess in blocked window with plaster copy of 1816 S. Gahagan bust of General Sir Thomas Picton, and plaque of 1907 recording his death at Waterloo, 1815, and burial in St Pauls Cathedral, London. S aisle N: Jane Griffiths, servant at Poyston, (d 1814), stone reeded surround.  

Reason for designation
Graded I as a substantial medieval double-nave church with tower, also notable for the late C17 Hayward or Howard family monument.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]