Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Linked Outbuildings to S. to S. and Sw of Penlan
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Situated some 0.5km NW of cathedral down drive beginning just E of intersection of road to Porthstinian with road from Whitesands.
C19 complex of linked outbuildings forming a three-sided court to S of house, the western side of which projects further N and to which two further buildings are added on the W side. Rubble stone with grouted slate roofs to the older parts, slate to later additions. Oldest range appears to be the western side of the court and the cart-shed attached at N end, as these are on 1840 Tithe map. Western side of court has alternated sequence of four doors and four windows, all with red brick cambered heads. Southern and eastern sides of court probably added ca1890 with slate roofs, the southern side comprising two large open stalls with 6-bay front of timber posts on pyramidal stone blocks. Eastern side is rubble stone to right with broad opening adjoining S range and one window to left, then 5-bay open-fronted section, mostly infilled with corrugated iron. Across the yard are attractive high rubble walls enclosing two yards in front of S range. Two sets of gate piers with decorative rubble caps and stepped rubble coping. Walls said to date from ca1900.
Range running W from N end of western side of court comprises three buildings. First, attached to N end, a gable ended cart-shed with timber-lintel N entry and two tiers of dove holes in gable; lower tier is interrupted by a small piece of medieval carved cornice presumably from cathedral; grouted slate roof slightly lower than on long range behind. Second, a tall lofted stable with grouted slate roof and symmetrical front but for large outside steps to right to eaves-breaking loft door; two windows each floor and central door, the lower openings with cambered brick heads, the upper windows breaking band of brick dove holes, broken to left of centre by tall narrow loading door with slate sill. Ventilation loop in centre, door to right with brick head. Rounded NW angle and blocked W door. Lofted interior.
A "stable, straw-house and cowhouse" were built at Penlan in 1863.
Reason for designation
An unusually complete and extensive C19 farm group. The farm forms part of the estate of the Bishop of Saint David's.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]