Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
One of a Pair of Limekilns on Eastern Quay
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Built into bank on quay some 80m from road bridge, on eastern side.
Probably early C19. Pair of limekilns, one circular and complete, the other square and part demolished; restored ca1975. Two linked kilns each some 3m high, with rubble faced ramp up from N, the northern kiln circular with parapet, Dewisland-type tapering kiln-eyes; the southern kiln with kiln-eye surviving on N side and crucible exposed by collapse of front and S side. Rubble walling between kilns with steep steps up.
Date of construction uncertain, but an import of lime for burning is recorded as early as 1743. The four kilns at Porthclais were owned by C Allen 1870, but were disused by 1906.
Reason for designation
Marked on 1840 Tithe Map.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]