Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
12685
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
28/07/1992  
Date of Amendment
28/07/1992  
Name of Property
One of a Pair of Limelkilns on Eastern Quay  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Pembrokeshire  
Community
St. David's and the Cathedral Close  
Town
 
Locality
Porthclais  
Easting
174130  
Northing
224176  
Street Side
 
Location
Built into bank on quay some 80m from road bridge, on eastern side.  

Description


Broad Class
Industrial  
Period
 

History
Date of construction uncertain, but an import of lime for burning is recorded as early as 1743. The four kilns at Porthclais were owned by C Allen 1870, but were disused by 1906.  

Exterior
Probably early C19. Pair of limekilns, one circular and complete, the other square and part demolished; restored ca1975. Two linked kilns each some 3m high, with rubble faced ramp up from N, the northern kiln circular with parapet, Dewisland-type tapering kiln-eyes; the southern kiln with kiln-eye surviving on N side and crucible exposed by collapse of front and S side. Rubble walling between kilns with steep steps up.  

Interior
 

Reason for designation
Marked on 1840 Tithe Map. Group value.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export