Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Gwrhyd Bach, including attached Outbuildings
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Situated down track running NW from St David's to Llanrhian road, with junction some 150m SW of Rhodiad Chapel.
C16 or C17 core, largely rebuilt in late C19.
Farmhouse in rubble stone with grouted slate roof and brick end stacks. Two-storey three-window range of four-pane sashes with slate sills. Centre 4-panel door with overlight.
Lower 2-storey wing to N may incorporate part of the house with conical chimney described by J Romilly Allen in 1902. Squat rendered end stack, two small 4-pane sashes above, door below in round-arched stone surround, the wall thicker in area of doorcase C19 4-pane sash with painted brick cambered head to right.
Interior: service range has very large timber-lintel fireplace at N end, the lintel with moulded edge.
Attached to N, range of single-storey stone outbuildings with grouted roof.
Reason for designation
J Romilly Allen drew the house in 1883 and included it in the list of eight round chimneyed houses in the St David's area, and some parts of this would appear to survive. The C19 work is a good example of the typical farmhouse of the area, and unaltered (1989).
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]