Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Situated in hollow to N of Pentre Evan Wood, down drive running S off Crosswell to Newport Road.
House would seem to have been built c1600 (similar door mouldings to Llwyngoras 1578) for Williams Warren (c1557-1611) and remodelled for John Warren (1673-1743) and is the most significant gentry house of its period in N.Pembrokeshire or Cardiganshire.
C16 and early C18 house of the Warren family, on ancient site. Rubble stone, (formerly whitewashed), with slate roofs, stone end stacks and front wall lateral stack. Three-unit plan, two storeys and attic, with gabled two-storey-and-attic front porch and gabled rear stair tower. Long five-bay front with porch in fourth, narrow 24-pane sashes upstairs and later 12-pane wider sashes below. Lateral stack is between second and third bays. Third ground floor window is modern insertion, previously there was a lean-to against porch here. Windows have rendered lintels and rough slate sills. Porch has Tudor-arched entry with stone voussoirs, first floor 24-pane sash with moulded oak lintel, the moulding slightly wider than present window and rough slate dripstone. Attic has similar 24- pane sash, but is windowless in earlier C20 photographs. Stone gable finial. Within porch are three chamfered beams, stone lateral seats, side-wall slit window and massive plank door with ovolo-ogee moulded frame and carved stops. Drawbar hole. Right end wall with added lean-to.
Rear has shorter roof pitch, suggesting rebuilding, centre gabled stair tower and two-window range each side. Glazed lean-to to left of stair gable. Stair gable has 9-pane attic sash and 18-pane landing light, both with cambered heads. Three C20 windows to first floor left, one 12-pane sash to first floor right, with 12-pane sash to ground floor below. In walling by right corner is broken re-used stone with biblical inscription (11 Peter v.5).
In retaining wall to front of house is stone inscribed 'Blt by John Warren Esq 1710', possibly from demolished lean-to.
7 big ovolo-moulded ceiling beams to centre and W rooms plus moulded oak doorways similar to porch doorway on three sides of centre room, former hall. Plank door to rear doorway to cellar, later panelled doors to E and W doorways. Front wall chimney infilled. Wall between centre hall and W former kitchen possibly later insertion as only extends part way across, the rest panelled. Big timber-lintel W end fireplace with chamfered beam and stone jambs. E end parlour has plastered beams. Mid C20 staircase.
First floor has much early C19 fielded panelling, bolection moulded doorcases and 6-panel doors. Panelled shutters. Semi-elliptical arch to corridor running W which has fielded panelled wall on S side. C17 doorcase to room over porch. One pane of sash window E of porch has C18 rhyme, apparently in answer to an invitation to tea etched on adjoining, now lost, pane and dated 23.4.1723 according to Maj F. Jones. Attic is said to have remnant of early to mid C18 stair with fluted paired column newels and ramped rail.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]