Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Penarth Pier (includingI Pavilion & Shops)
Vale of Glamorgan
Entrance on The Esplanade opposite Bridgeman Road.
Built in 1894 to the design of H F Edwards, completed February 1895. Landing stage rebuilt in 1926 in ferro-concrete. Pavilion completed in May 1929, when the landward end of the pier was rebuilt in concrete. On August Bank Holiday 1931, a Ballroom on the E end of the pier burnt down, destroying wooden decking and all other buildings on the pier except the present pavilion. Further rebuilding following ship collision in 1947.
Approx. 200 m long, and 15 m wide at landing stage end. Central (original) section on cast iron piles with wooden decking, landward and landing stage ends have concrete piles and decking. Cast iron traceried balcony railings, and lamp standards. At seaward end, steamer ticket office of boarded wooden construction. On central section, 2 shelters of boarded wooden construction, with overhanging eaves.
At landward end, facing Bridgeman Road, pavilion in reinforced concrete, in Indian style popular for entertainment buildings in the 1920's. By M F Edwards, architect, designed 1927. Main block has tapering corner towers, with corner pilasters, and capped with pinnacled Moghul Style roofs having deeply overhanging bracketed eaves. Towers have large windows with diaper grilles and beneath these, 2 tiers of smaller paired windows, some retaining original diaper glazing.
West (landward) end at ground level flanked by concave wings (containing shops, kiosks etc.) in classical style with Roman Doric columns. Convex entrance lobby with 3 doorways separated by piers with niches. Adamesque ceiling decoration to interior. Between towers, parapet with pierced diaper decoration. On second floor, door with flanking square windows. First floor convex bay with three large glazed openings giving access to terrace over entrance.
Seaward (W) elevation similar to landward but with glazed convex classical colonnade to 'Captain's Bar'.
Side elevations of 11 bays articulated by concrete ribs to barrel-vaulted roof. Four tall windows (modern small-pane glazing) with segmental-headed architraves and linked by cornice continue upward the line of lower walls whilst roof recedes behind and is crowned by longitudinal ventilators at ridge.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]