Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Milepost on north-east side of A48, opposite to Twmpath Farm
Vale of Glamorgan
On north-east side of A48, opposite to Twmpath Farm and the junction to Colwinston village.
Dated 1835 and erected by the Cowbridge District Turnpike Trust
Ornately moulded cast-iron milepost in Gothic style, one of a series on the A48 to the West of Cardiff. Rectangular panels at the base, the lower one with date '1835' and the upper one with the words 'Colwinston Parish'. Behind and above this, a tall crowning tablet with rounded head and the inscription 'Cowbridge District' at the top. Two pointed panels protrude from the lower part of this tablet, the left hand one inscribed 'To Cowbridge 3' and the right hand one inscribed 'To Bridgend 4'. A segmental panel inscribed 'London 173' below these and above rectangular panels at base. See similar listed mileposts in City of Cardiff, namely, in Cowbridge Road East and West and in the Museum of Welsh Life at St Fagans.
Reason for designation
Included as a particularly elaborate turnpike milepost which is one of a series on the A48.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]