Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Kennixton Farmhouse  


Unitary Authority
St. Fagans  
Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans  
Street Side
One of the re-erected buildings in the open-air collection of the Museum of Welsh Life.  


Broad Class

Brought from Llangennydd in the Gower Peninsular. South-east part of the front wing is thought to be of early C17 date, probably about 1610, with the northern part of the front wing of later C17 date and the rear wing of the mid C18, probably c1750. The house was re-erected at the Museum in 1955. The Museum Council had recommended in October 1943 that 'an open-air museum was an essential auxiliary to the National Museum of Wales.' ; 'a Wales in miniature where in the confined area of one hundred acres the visitor will be able to wander through time and space.' This vision was made reality by Lord Plymouth's gift of St. Fagans Castle and Park to the National Museum of Wales in 1946. The gardens were opened to the public in 1947 and the house in 1948 but it was recognised that 'some time must elapse before any ancient houses can be re-erected in the Park'. The purpose of the Museum was that 'from different parts of Wales, farm-houses and buildings which would otherwise fall into ruin or be destroyed will be secured for re-erection, the chosen houses will of course be architecturally, historically and socially significant of Welsh culture'. The first building thus re-erected was the Stryd Lydan barn in 1951 and the ones which are included in the list are those re-erected between that date and 1972 and are thus all more than thirty years on their present site.  

Red washed stone rubble walls with thatched roofs; renewal of some parts of fabric during reconstruction. L-shaped plan with cross-passage dividing the original house from the extensions. The main stack, which is in the original house, backs onto the passage. Two storeys with two storey rear wing at north-west end. The elevation to the yard is the inside of the L. This has 3 over 6-pane sashes in the parlour wing to the left and 3 pane casements, two above and one below to the right. The north-west elevation has a central door with, to the left, a 3 over 6-pane sash above a 6 over 6 pane one, then a 2-pane casement, and to the right a 6 over 6-pane sash with 3-pane casements above. Sites of the outbuildings are marked in the yard outside.  

The ground floor rooms have stopped and chamfered beams and mortar floors made from a formula in Iolo Morganwg's writing, recess in kitchen ceiling for hanging bacon. Under thatch of woven straw mats, scissors tie truss to southern bedroom and upper crucks. Many pieces of furniture from Glen George collection and principally from Glamorganshire and Carmarthenshire.  

Reason for designation
Included as one of the first complete buildings re-erected at the Museum of Welsh Life, then the Welsh Folk Museum. This building is of considerable historic interest as one of the early exhibits, both for itself and for the way it has been displayed.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]