Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
28 Mount Stuart Square
Detached opposite the SW corner of the former Coal Exchange.
Rebuilt from two houses in 1920. Architect Henry Budgen.
Three storeys, 3 bay front in bathstone ashlar with entrance doorway surround in Portland Stone. Parapet with low triangular pediment over central bay, and cornice. Four giant pilasters on first and second floors supported on plinth of four single storey pilasters. Giant pilasters with moulded panels and concave Ionic-derived capitals with aprons and hanging garland decoration. Central narrow bay with bowed tripartite windows on upper floors. Flanking bays have wide tripartite windows. On ground floor, central doorway with segmental head with large keystone and Baroque-style decoration over. Ground floor pilasters flanking doorway have sunk panels, and capitals with hanging garland decoration. End pilasters banded. Tripartite windows with classicizing wooden frames, and aprons below with stylised ship decoration in vents.
At rear, facing former Glamorganshire Canal, polygonal W front behind railed wall. Group value.
Double six-panelled doors lead to lobby with marble dado, black and white tiled floor with marble steps.
Reason for designation
As a well-preserved early C20 commercial building by prominent local architect, and for group vlue with listed buildings in the square. Group value.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]