Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
14119
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
08/10/1989  
Date of Amendment
12/10/2001  
Name of Property
Former stable, garage & garden wall with gates at White Lodge  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Cardiff  
Community
Roath  
Town
Cardiff  
Locality
Penylan  
Easting
319283  
Northing
178962  
Street Side
S  
Location
On the N side of the house facing the road.  

Description


Broad Class
Domestic  
Period
 

History
White Lodge was built for E Hodge, building plans for which are signed by H.P. Erwan and dated 1910. The house and outbuildings are first shown on the 1920 Ordnance Survey. White Lodge stood adjacent to an earlier house, which was built in the final quarter of the C19, was originally known as Fretherne but later as Woodlands, and is first shown on the 1901 Ordnance Survey. This earlier house was subsequently demolished but its former stable and boundary wall were retained and incorporated into the outbuildings and boundary wall of White Lodge.  

Exterior
Comprising a garage, originally a stable, with boundary wall and gates, and continuing further W with the boundary wall of Woodlands and its associated stable. The garage building has roughcast walls and slate roof with swept boarded eaves, hipped to the W side. Facing the driveway on the E side is a gable with tiled apex and 2-light casement window. On the S side are 2 inserted full-height openings. The N wall, facing the road, has a gable L of centre incorporating a loading door (boarded up) over 2 ground-floor windows, and a tall stack on its R side. The N wall is built over a rock-faced sandstone boundary wall, which is ramped up to gate piers on the E side of the garage. Well-detailed double wooden gates have a sinuous top rail, trellised wedges above boarded panels, and original iron strap hinges. The boundary wall continues further E past White Lodge Cottage as a tall brick orchard wall stepping downhill and with buttresses and a further gateway at the end. Further W the boundary wall is rubble stone and incorporates the N wall of the earlier stable. The lofted stable is rubble stone with yellow-brick dressings and half-hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. On the S side are overall half-glazed sliding doors, and a central gable with finial and former loading door under a cambered head, now boarded over. The W end wall has a small-pane loft window. In the N wall is a central window with small-pane glazing and 2 small windows further L. At the W end of the boundary wall is the former entrance to Woodlands, comprising brick gate piers and double gates.  

Interior
 

Reason for designation
Listed for group value with White Lodge and White Lodge Cottage.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export