Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Swan P H
Set back slightly from the building line, facing down Clwyd Street.
Probably first built between c1820 and 1830, and in use as a public house by c1880. The building was extensively remodelled for Greenall Whitley & Co by John H Davies & Son, architects, of Chester, in 1929. This work retained the plan of the earlier building, but enriched its simple vernacular classical frontage with Neo-Georgian detailing and added a new public house frontage.
Rendered with rusticated quoins, slate roof. Two storeys, 3-window range with central entrance lobby. Doorway with geometric traceried overlight in steep pediment forms centre-piece of integrated public house frontage, with wide strongly projecting mullioned and transomed canted bay windows to either side. First floor has 12-pane sash window over the entrance, and wide tripartite sashes with small panes to either side. Plain sill band to first floor windows, and deep frieze band with ‘Wilderspool Ales’ in raised letters below fine dentilled eaves cornice.
Reason for designation
Although the core of an early C19 house was retained in its remodelling in 1929, the building is of particular interest as a coherent example of 1920s public house design. It is also part of an important group of buildings centred on the Church of the Holy Trinity and the Church of Saint Thomas.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]