Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Attached Former Bank Manager Manager's House to Lloyds Bank
Standing prominently at the junction of The Highway and the A550.
Built 1899-1900 at a cost of ú3,147, and described as "a real ornament to the village." A large asymmetrical bank building with adjoining bank manager's house, arranged as 2 interlocking ranges forming a rough L.
Of Ruabon brick, under a medium-pitched tiled roof, the Bank with 2 tall chimneys with simple moulded necking. The bank of 2 storeys and 3 bays, that to the R advanced and with a timber-framed gable carried on simple brackets and with plain bargeboards. Large 9-pane windows to ground floor, one to each bay, with depressed-arched heads and fluted keystones. Stepped buttress between bays 1 and 2, terminated at the eaves in a scrolled pediment. Dentilated string-course. 3 large sash windows to first floor with simply moulded cills projecting slightly and supported on simple wooden brackets. That to the R tripartite, the others 2-light.
Extruded at the junction between the stepped-back manager's house and the bank, a single-storey porch of brick with stone detailing. Coped parapet with central gablet and a stone cartouche beneath inscribed "Bank". Entrance with moulded surround and scrolled pediment, within which a shield bearing the date 1900. Decorative consolled pilasters flanking the entrance, containing ogee niches and again with scrolled pediments. Bracketted cornice beneath parapet. Contemporary 8-panel door.
Bank Manager's House: Facing E, and at right angles with the bank. Of 3 bays, the central one advanced with wide, timber-framed gable. Simple bargeboards and oversailing eaves carried on simple moulded brackets. Central oriel to first floor beneath which a moulded entrance with cambered head. Recessed 8-panelled door with plain fanlight. Asymmetrical windows including 2 further first-floor oriels with flat roofs and 4 and 6 light cross-windows. These with arched transomes. Off-set stack to L, and decorative ridge-crockets. Stepped angle buttress to R.
Contemporary rear extensions of 1 and 2 storeys to bank. Stone coped dwarf walls infront of both ranges with rounded stone caps to spaced piers. Detached flagpole to L of porch.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]