Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Prominently situated at the south end of the town on the west side of Prince Street, opposite the junction with Ivor Street.
The building dates from 1937 and is similar in design to, although larger than, the Post Office at Blackwood.
Deep roofed Queen Anne Revival building, on a rectangular plan, with extensions to rear. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-window main facade, with roughcast render, dressed stone quoins and a marble plinth. All the windows are square-headed sashes with horned small-pane glazing. Hipped roof is of a conspicuous Cumbrian green slate.
At ground floor, the central pedimented doorway has a 'Gibbs Surround', the keystone of which is inscribed 'GR 1937'. The six panel wooden door has a rectangular fanlight with decorative glazing bars. Above the pediment the words 'POST OFFICE' are in relief white lettering. Far right ground floor window drops to ground level at its centre and has a clockface set into its upper sash. Deep wooden eaves cornice with dentils.
Many of the internal fittings remain on the ground floor, including polychrome tiled flooring, mahogany panelling and counters. The service counter which originally ran the length of the ground floor,has been reused across the width. Service hatches and doorways to sorting offices remain as does the GPO mahogany clock.
Reason for designation
Listed as a good example of an inter-war Post Office.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]