Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
750m approx. Down a lane which leaves the main Pwllheli Road on the edge of Llanystumdwy village, and close to the estuary of the River Dwfor.
The township of Ynysgain was in existence by 1532, and the estate of Ynysgain Fawr by 1614. The present house was probably built towards the end of the C18, and extended in the early C19 with the addition of a long rear wing.
Main range faces NW, with later wing to SE. Well coursed and squared stone to main elevation, rougher stone in gable wall. Slate roof. 2 storeys, 3-window range forming a 2 unit plan unequally divided, with off-centre doorway. 12-pane sash windows with horns to ground floor, hornless 9-pane sashes above, and plank door with narrow overlight. Openings all have rough stone lintels. Long rear wing is a rougher stonework, and is also 2 storeyed, a 2-window range with 16-pane sashes on the inner (NE) face), and 4-pane sashes to SW. Single storeyed outbuilding adjoins the original range to the NE: Roughly coursed and squared rubble, well coursed in gable end, with graded slate roof and projecting kneelers to gable. Central doorway with rough stone lintel in the SE elevation facing the yard, with inserted window to its left, and ventilation slits to the right and in gable end.
The house has a small entrance and stair hall, and a 2-room plan, with large single room (now subdivided) in the rear wing.
Reason for designation
A largely unaltered example of a late C18-early C19 vernacular farmhouse.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]