Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Located about 2Km E of Brithdir village N of the old Roman road from Dolgellau to Bala; accessed via a long farm track leading W from a lane leading N from the Roman road to the A 494.
Late C17 one-and-a-half storey farmhouse with late C19 additions. Rubble construction with steeply-pitched slate roof; end chimneys with capping, that to the L original and with weather-coursing, that to the R rebuilt C19. Slightly off-centre entrance (to R) with recessed C19 part-glazed 4-panel door; large flat stone lintel. To the L 2 windows with lintels as before, that to the R with late C19/early C20 4-pane glazing, and that to the L with 6-pane glazing. To the R of the entrance a near-flush 12-pane early-mid C19 sash window. 4 hipped dormers to upper floor and windows breaking the eaves; that to the R is a flush early-mid C19 6-pane sash, that over the entrance has a later 6-pane casement and those to the L have 4-pane glazing. Fragmentary applied timber framing to R gable apex (c.1900).
C.1900 gabled cross-wing to rear forming an L with the primary range; gable end chimney, the upper gable with applied timbe rframing and simply-moulded bargeboards. Ground-floor bay to L return with 4-part flush glazing; 4-pane upper and single-pane lower. Gabled dormer above with tripartite window glazed as before; slightly projecting frame and shallow pediment with moulded cill.
This was not inspected at the time of survey (February1995), though heavy chamfered beams to the ground floor ceilings and a late C17 dogleg stair are said to survive.
Reason for designation
A good surviving example of a large late C17 vernacular farmhouse.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]