Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Wall with Niche and inscribed stone, opposite Llanelieu Court
Located in Llanelieu, on the N side of the road to Talgarth, opposite Llanelieu Court.
Stone boundary wall behind road verge, running for approximately 6m from steps to the Pottery, to a rebuilt pier at the corner, and includes two later C17 features probably from the Aubrey manor house. Near the steps, a moulded arched niche, the mouldings an ogee and hollow chamfer, and bearing the date 1679, and on the terminal pier a reset stone with a two confronting ogee-moulded basket arch on the soffit, and which bears, above the arch, the inscription NON : IVPITER : QVIDEM / OMNIBVS : PLACET x / SPES : ALIT : EXVLES:
Reason for designation
Included as a notable local feature, of group value with Llanelieu Court, and illustrative of the literary aspirations of later C17 gentry even in this upland region.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]