Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Stable and Laundry Ranges
Set back from the lane in gardens, close to the junction with the main A483 at the Horseshoes Inn.
Said to occupy the site of a grange of Strata Marcella Abbey (NE of Welshpool), the present building has its origins in a timber framed house of c1600, which probably comprised a 3-unit house, with storeyed porch and lobby entry towards the centre. This forms the nucleus of the present building, and elements of the wall framing, as well as the C17 roof trusses, remain. The house was later extended with 2 short wings to the rear forming a shallow U-plan, probably in the late C18. At some time also, the roofline was changed to a wider, shallower pitch. In about 1812, the house was again remodelled, and the wide projecting eaves and much of the internal and external detail of its main range are of this period. c1860, a rear range was added (incorporating the earlier brick wings), providing increased service accommodation. The flanking stable and laundry ranges were probably added in the early C19 remodelling, and certainly pre-date the Tithe Map of 1840.
Main range is faced with lined-out render; shallow pitched slate roof, carried forward on moulded brackets to give deep overhanging eaves. Brick end wall and axial stacks. 2 storeys, 5 window range, with central storeyed porch. This has mainly glazed lower storey, with shallow arch to entrance, filled with 3 subsidiary arches of glazed doorway and side lights with Greek key motifs on the pilasters. Similar arches over windows in each return. Above the door is a 2-light window with lattice glazing, and double reeded architrave, with console brackets and entablature hood. Porch is pedimented by heavy cornice with moulded brackets continuing the main eaves line, and has scalloped barge boards. Flanking windows are late C19 4-pane sashes to ground floor, low 8-pane sashes above (with one metal window inserted to first floor, c1950). Parallel rear range has mullioned and transomed iron framed windows with small panes on each floor, and 2 side wall stacks.
The main range is linked by a brick wall with flat stone copings to the stable range (to the right) and the former laundry (to the left). These are both brick buildings, with their gable ends facing outwards, blind except for lunette at apex. Doorways with flanking windows in lean-to extensions facing the house.
Entrance and stair hall towards centre, with principal rooms opening off it to either side, and service rooms in parallel rear range. Heavy plaster cornice to entrance hall, and heavy reeding to doorcases, with rosettes at angles. Steep curved staircase, with swept rail and moulded tread ends. Dining room has plain marble fireplace, and Grecian key motif to plaster cornice; drawing room also has plain marble fireplace, and deep plaster cornice, with anthemia and trailed wheatears. In the roof space, the 3 sequences of building and remodelling are clearly visible in the trusses: the 2 surviving original trusses have king and queen posts, with raking struts above the collar - an arched doorway is cut through the W truss. In the W gable, some decorative framing is visible: cruciform timbers with chevron bracing.
Reason for designation
A fine early C19 house which is of special interest both for its 'Regency' character, and as it represents the remodelling of an earlier building.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]