Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
War Memorial in churchyard at Church of St Mary
At the head of the steps which are the main entrance to the Churchyard from Church Bank.
Designed in 1921 by Aston Webb; erected by public subscription in 1923. Red sandstone ashlar. A tapering rectangular shaft surmounted by a tabernacle with relief carvings of local saints is set over low quadrant walls, which have inscriptions in raised lettering on their outer face, inscribed lettering on their inner face, and slate memorial slabs attached to the inner face (apparently superimposed to renew earlier inscriptions).
A fine example of a war memorial which forms a prominent feature in the townscape and at the approach to the church.
Reference: Welshpool War Memorial, bound material including original appeal document, Newtown Public Library.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]