Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Pont-dol-goch Station and Stationmaster's House
The railway station stands on a high bank directly north of the road bridge under the line, and is accessed from the main Caersws to Machynlleth Road, near the centre of the village.
Pont-dôl-goch lies on the Newtown to Machynlleth line which was constructed following the Act of 1857, and became part of the Cambrian Railway network in 1864; the Londonderry's of Machynlleth were closely involved and the contactors were David Davies and Thomas Savin. It was completed in 1862. Pont-dôl-goch station is an example of a rural station on this double track line, now reduced to a single track, and is contemporary with the formation of the Cambrian Railway.
Single storey station with attached 2-storey stationmaster's house at the NW end behind the long platform. Snecked bullnosed rubble construction with grouted slate roof, painted stone chamfered window surrounds, and red brick chimneys. Ornate cusped bargeboards to gable ends and to the front gables of the house - most retain their finials and pendants. The station has a 3-bay platform front set back under a canopied roof, with cross-frame windows and entrance offset to the left, between the original wall-mounted clock and the window; painted architraves. At the SW end, a small enclosed brick yard with a closet.
The stationmaster's house is on a 'T'-plan, with living rooms in the cross wing, and kitchen in the NW wing. Single-window gable end to the wing, each side. Similar gable treatment to the dormer hood over the 1st floor window, set back to the left. The entrance is enclosed in a more recent porch in the re-entrant angle with the kitchen wing, which is extended by a small yard. The hand pump stands at the end.
The station consists of office and waiting room. The office retains the bench and ticket window, and a cast iron fireplace in the chimney breast.
Reason for designation
Included for its special interest as one of the best preserved rural stations from the early years of the Cambrian Railway, differing in detail from Caersws Station.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]