Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
To N of road, about 3km E of Bryneglwys.
There has been a house on or near the site since the medieval period. The older part lies to the east, although its present exterior and interior appearance is now early C19. A watercolour shows it in c1794. The house was remodelled in c1830 and doubled in size in c1870.
The property possesses the historical significance that it was the ancestral home of the Yale (Iâl) family from the mid C15 to mid C20. Their best-known member was Elihu Yale (1649-1721), whose father was born here. Elihu Yale was a substantial benefactor of Connecticut College, New Haven, Connecticut, which was renamed Yale College in his honour in 1718.
A house in two approximately equal sections, with the older square block to the east.
The east block is rendered and has a hipped slate roof with moulded stone eaves. Rendered chimneys. Dormer windows at north. The main elevation is that of the entrance, facing east, and has an asymmetrical three-window front offset to the left. Its upper openings are a blind opening at left (painted to resemble a 16-pane window) and two twelve-pane sash-windows. The openings below are a 16-pane sash-window at left and a tripartite window at right: the latter is a twelve-pane pair of opening sashes between the mullions with dead sashes each side. The doorway has a moulded frame and a part-glazed five-panel door. A marble heraldic shield formerly above the door is now removed to the interior of the newer part.
The south elevation has asymmetrical small-pane glazing at 3 levels. The north elevation has a 16-pane sash-window above and a tripartite window similar to that on the east elevation below, both at right; at left is a blind opening painted to resemble a 16-pane window above and another blind window painted to resemble a tripartite 16-pane window with side lights below. The west elevation of the older block partly overlooks the later block and has large stepped external chimney.
The west block is c1870, and of very irregular design. Exposed stone to south. West gable and rear rendered, single-storey lean-to to north. Slate roof. The main elevation is to the south: this is in three bays and three storeys. The top windows break the eaves line as dormers. 16- and 8-pane sash windows.
The interior was inspected in 1996, when it was reported that in the east block there were surviving cornices, fireplaces, panelled doors and a good staircase. The entrance hall has an arch to the staircase hall; a fine wooden stair runs up to attic level, and has balusters in form of fluted pillars and panelling to walls. Beside the stairs ia a door to the cellar. To right (front) of the entrance hall, the drawing room has an enriched cornice, a ceiling rose and a marble fireplace. To rear, the dining room has an enriched cornice to its ceiling and beams, small plaster ceiling rose, large arched fireplace. The first floor has simple cornices, panelled doors and early C19 fireplaces.
Reason for designation
A good farmhouse of which the east block retains its historic features and character; it has additional historic interest as the ancestral home of the Yale family.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]