Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Old Vicarage
Situated some 250m W of church, on N side of village lane.
1846-7 vicarage by C.J. Davies of Cenarth, enlarged 1889 by Middleton, Prothero and Phillott of Cheltenham.
Coursed Cilgerran rubble stone with tooled Cilgerran dressings, slate eaves roofs and cut stone stacks, with chamfered bases, some shafts replaced in brick. Two storeys, asymmetrical Tudor Gothic front, originally of three bays, extended 1889 to right in matching style. Heavily carved bargeboards with pendant finials to gables. Margin-glazed sashes or casements in chamfered surrounds with single slab Cilgerran stone lintels and hoodmoulds. Chamfered plinth. Original part has slightly projected main gable to right, lower gable to left and centre gabled porch. Right stack with three stone shafts, on former end wall. Ground floor left and right windows are long arch-headed sashes with timber mullions, under deep hoodmoulds. First floor 2-light timber-mullion windows, left casements with hoodmould, centre casements without hood and right paired arch-headed sashes with hoodmould. Centre porch is gabled and bargeboarded with tall Tudor-arched chamfered doorway, Tudor-arched hoodmould and traceried fanlight. Door has Gothic panels. Single lights in side walls, with arched windows. W end gable has similar bargeboards, first floor casement pair with hoodmould and ground floor large square stone bay-window, with dripmould and parapet. Three-light window with similar long arch-headed sashes, no hoodmould. 1889 added section to front right has similar bargeboard, first floor 2-light with hood and ground floor long 2-light, with deep hood and arch-headed sashes E end gable has bargeboards, a chimney has been removed.
Rear has external chimney breast to right, whitewashed walls, centre small-paned casement-pair each floor with stone voussoirs, and NE rear wing with similar end stack. Small-paned casements. Small brick addition of 1879 in angle to rear wing.
Reason for designation
Listed as an unusually good example of a well-preserved early Victorian vicarage.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]