Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property


Unitary Authority
Llanddoged and Maenan  
Street Side
Located approximately 1.5km W of Llanddoged immediately E of the junction of a lane running N from Llanrwst to Maenan and a lane running E from it towards Llanddoged; set-back from the lane with its own formal drive.  


Broad Class

Formerly called Ty Du, Belmont originated as a late C17 or early C18, 3-storey double-pile house of simple grandeur. Owned, and no doubt built by the Kyffin family of neighbouring Maenan Hall, the house appears to have served as a dower house. Lady Kyffin, widow of Sir Thomas Kyffin (d. 1784) is recorded as living here in 1791. In 1795 Ann Kyffin married the Rev. John Nanney Wynne of Maesyneuadd in Meirionedd who adopted the surname Nanney on inheriting an estate at Maes-y-Pandy. It was he who altered the house around 1795-1800, and who also changed its name to Belmont. Renowned as a 'keen devotee of the turf', the Reverend aquired the contemporary nick-name of 'the sporting rector of Llangwyfan' and established a racing stables at Belmont. He was a regular participator in the celebrated Conway races, held at 'the Marsh' until discontinued c1809, and was known to have possessed a large collection of silver cups and trophies, of which he was justifiably proud. He extended the house by 2 bays to the E and raised the entrance and the main rooms to the first floor, thereby creating a Piano Nobile with services beneath. The reason for this rather bizarre rearrangement appears to have been to gain better views of the Conwy valley from the polite rooms. The sporting rector died in 1838; in his will William Atkinson, 'trainer at Belmont' and Katherine Roberts, 'under-nurse at Belmont' were left legacies. Minor alterations, including re-roofing, were carried out in the late C19.  

5-bay, 3-storey double-pile house. Rubble construction with stuccoed facade and slate roof; plain bargeboards at the gable ends. Plain, rendered end chimneys to primary piles and to front section of additions. The original 3-window section is symmetrical and has a raised central entrance of c1795, via curved sandstone stairs of Perron type; this has elegant wrought iron balusters and rail, the former of intersecting design, and scrolled rail ends. 6-panelled door with raised and fielded panels, plain doorcase and an elegant segmental fanlight; late C19 open porch with flat roof, moulded cornice and chamfered posts. Sash windows to all floors, each glazed with 6 panes above and 2 below; those to the upper floor are beneath the eaves and are marginally smaller. Modern part-glazed door below main entrance; window as before recessed within. Classical key-pattern stucco frieze between first and second floors. The 2-bay addition, to the R is slightly recessed, though the roof is continuous. Windows and frieze as before and to the L, on the ground (basement) floor, a further, service entrance with recessed 6-panel door and rectangular overlight. The rear pile is slightly narrower and is unrendered; cambered brick arches to openings. These are in irregular disposition and consist of two 2-light small-pane sash windows, a 12-pane sash and two leaded windows, one of 2 lights, the other a wooden cross window; modern glazing to the remainder. 3 entrances to the ground floor, that to the R formerly a window and now open, the others boarded. Contemporary cobbled service yard with rubble revettment walls to the rear. Five further 12-pane sash windows to the R twin-gabled end, with two 2-light small-pane sashes and evidence of a blocked window.  

Acanthus plaster frieze to raised ground-floor hall and similar acanthus and guioche plaster cornice to front-facing room off to L, all c1795. Contemporary grey marble fireplace with reeded decoration to front room R, with segmental arched recess to rear wall (suggesting former dining room). 2-panel (raised and fielded) primary door to R of fireplace. Plain architraves and 6-panelled doors throughout. Full-height stair from former ground floor (now basement) to upper floor. This is of late C17/early C18 well type and is of oak with columner balusters and moulded rail, sloped up at the top of each flight; scrolled tread-ends and a simple (relocated) dog gate to basement flight, originally at the bottom. Landing to top floor with 5 doors off of which 4 are primary with 2 raised and fielded panels and plain architraves. Slate-flagged floor to basement and further 6-panelled and old boarded doors. Ogee stopped-chamfered beams and wide fireplace with chamfered bressummer; further, blocked fireplace.  

Reason for designation
A c1700 double-pile house with late C18 alterations associated with the 'racing rector', John Nanney. Group value.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]