Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Former Stable Complex at Belmont
Llanddoged and Maenan
Located 60m W of Belmont, set back to the N of the lane to Llanddoged and facing an agricultural complex.
Agriculture and Subsistence
The Belmont stable range was built, or at least added to, by the Rev. John Nanney Wynne, who lived at Belmont as his primary residence from 1795 until his death in 1838. Renowned as a 'keen devotee of the turf', the Reverend aquired the contemporary nick-name of 'the sporting rector of Llangwyfan' and established a racing stables at Belmont which survives as this complex. He was a regular participator in the celebrated Conway races, held at 'the Marsh' until discontinued c1809, and was known to have possessed a large collection of silver cups and trophies, of which he was justifiably proud.
Composite stable range of three essential sections; rubble construction with slate roofs, some corrugated iron. The section at L is L-shaped and storied, and has a segmental-arched entrance to L with rough-dressed voussoirs and projecting keystone; flanking 6-pane steel-framed windows; cambered heads as before. Above the entrance a boarded loading bay. To the R the gabled connecting wing with outer boarded entrances and a further loading bay above, including hoist beam. Advanced to the R, an adjoining single-storey block with two further entrances with dressed slate-stone voussoirs to cambered heads; modern stable and boarded doors, plain-glazed window to R. Adjoining flush with this a near-contemporary 2-bay addition with plain window as before and stable door to R; flat slate lintel. The upper R gable end of this section is rebuilt; the roof is of corrugated iron.
Reason for designation
A fine late C18 stable complex associated with the Rev. John Nanney, the 'Racing Rector.'
Group value with other listed items at Belmont.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]