Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Set back from road in former garden to S of St John's Road.
Italianate villa of circa 1870. Shows on first edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed 1881 very much as at present, roughly square with rear wings. Perhaps by Habershon and Pite, architects, who designed nearby Beechwood House in similar style. Formerly a club, damaged by fire in 1990s and currently derelict.
Italianate villa. Built of Bath-stone ashlar ; shallow-pitched Welsh slate roof with deep eaves and dentilled cornice. Rusticated quoins, cornice bands between floors. Windows are mainly boarded up but sashes where visible. 2 storeys and cellar and 3-storey porch tower. Symmetrical design to 3 bay S front of central windows flanked by canted bays: the central first floor window is tripartite with cambered head; square headed ground floor window with prominent keystone; the bay windows have long lights and shouldered architraves. Left frontage (W) has panelled chimney breast over 2 storeys and 3-storey belvedere tower with pyramidal slate roof with dentilled eaves and bracketed cornice band below; windows are cambered-headed: paired long windows to upper stage, middle stage has 2 windows to S, single window to W with tall keystone; on ground floor are 3 close-set windows with prominent keystones; to S is the tall entrance doorway with shouldered architrave and keystone. To left rear (NW) a single window range. Right (E) elevation has single-storey 3-window bay, above this, chimney breast, 2 windows, and advanced bay with window to each floor. To rear, further bay with single square headed window to each floor. C20 flat-roofed extensions to rear.
Reason for designation
Listed as good example of an Italianate villa, contributing to the Kensington Place Conservation Area. Group value with Cambrian House and the Church of St John the Evangelist.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]