Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Riverside Building, Middle Factory, Leri Mills
Building parallel to riverbank in mill group on S bank of Leri, some 170m W of Talybont Bridge.
Later C19 mill building built as a flannel mill, part of the extensive Leri Mills complex. The mills produced flannel for the lead miners in the C19 and were converted to spinning mills for handweaving in C20. A building is marked on the site on 1847 Tithe Map, but the present building looks later in date.
Rubble stone with slate roof. Two-storey, five-window S front. Brick window heads, late sills. Upper windows are 3-light with thin timber mullions, the right two have been lengthened. Ground floor 2-light windows, the centre one apparently in a blocked larger opening and a door in right bay. Additional window at left end. Outside stone stairs around SW angle to loft door in W end. NW angle is rebated with curious timber-framed and plaster-panelled upper wall facing N in set-back section. Main N front, to river, is 4-window with casement-pair lattice-glazed leaded lights. First floor left two windows are lengthened. A leat channel goes under NW corner of the building.
Reason for designation
Part of a remarkably early example of a comprehensive woollen factory in Cardiganshire, built on an unusually extensive form for a rural mill.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]