Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Lion on W side of S entrance to Britannia Bridge
The lion is mounted high above the original rail approach to the bridge, and is accessed by a track passing through the Treborth-uchaf farm group.
One of a pair, probably designed by Francis Thompson, architect, and erected on the southern approach to the bridge prior to the opening of the Britannia Bridge in 1850.
Rock faced sandstone plinth, 5 courses high, with a single course scappled pedestal carrying a large limestone crouching lion gazing to the SE, built up from 11 large pieces of limestone and carved in a bold Egyptian style. Each lion cost £1,024.
Reason for designation
Included at Grade II as an important element in the design of the bridge, a pair with the lion on the NE side, and of group value with the bridge.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]