Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Salem Chapel  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
Located on the E side of Coychurch Road, 0.4km S of the village centre. The chapel is fronted by low stone walls supporting decorative iron railings, and stone piers. The vestry is to the N and the graveyard to the S.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The original Salem was built in 1775 under the direction of the Rev. David Jones of Llangan, a prominent Welsh Revivalist. In 1830, the chapel was renovated and enlarged to accommodate 500 people. The current chapel was built in 1886 by Edmund Rees at a cost of £1,300 and designed by the Rev. William Jones of Pentre Ystrad. It appears to be in a slightly different position from the earlier building. The chapel retains its original woodwork, while the organ was added about 1930. In 1957, three chapels, Salem, Soar Rhiwceiliog and Mynydd Rhuthyn united under a single pastorate.  

A large imposing chapel in simple classical style. Symmetrical 3-bay gable front. Two storeys. Rendered, probably over masonry, on a low stone plinth. Slate roof with modillion eaves and verges, and decorated ridge tiles. Rendered dressings and prominent moulded string course. Round arched openings to front under hood-moulds with keystones and corbelled stops; stone sills. The entrance contains panelled double doors under a fan light. It is flanked by windows to L and R. The upper storey has a central stepped tripartite window with round-headed lights, also flanked by windows to L and R. Small paired windows in the gable apex. All the glazing to the front has been replaced in PVCu. Below the gable window is an inscribed shield, at the top of which is the word SALEM. Four-window lateral walls to N and S. The upper storey windows are under round arches with hoodmoulds as on the front. The windows below have square heads under slightly arched hoodmoulds with keystones. The glazing has been replaced in PVCu to the S wall, but the original glazing is retained to the N where each window has a central mullion with either 2 or 3 panes to L and R, with margin glazing. Rear gable end with lean-to, for organ, with a flue to the R.  

The interior contains a 3-sided gallery supported on fluted cast iron columns with foliate capitals. The wooden gallery front has moulded recessed panels and dentilled cornice, and the gallery has three rows of pews. Wooden pulpit with decorated recessed panels and dentilled cornice, approached by wooden steps to L and R with moulded hand rails and turned balusters and newel posts. There is a large organ in a purpose-built recess behind the pulpit. The organ has a decorated wood-panelled case. Ten rows of simple pews, probably C20. Very ornate plaster ceiling rose in centre with rosettes to E and W. These are enclosed by a boarded and ribbed wooden frame with geometrical designs. Wide moulded coving and wood panelled wainscot. Entrance vestibule with stairs to gallery. Memorials to the Rev. David Jones of Llangan who erected the first chapel on the site in 1775, and to Arthur William Howells.  

Reason for designation
Listed as an imposing late C19 chapel of character and style, which is strongly associated with the origins and development of Pencoed.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]