Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
20443
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
08/09/1998  
Date of Amendment
30/09/1999  
Name of Property
Watermill to south-west of Stables including archway into mill yard and attached L-shaped range  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Gwynedd  
Community
Llandwrog  
Town
 
Locality
Glynllifon  
Easting
245512  
Northing
355312  
Street Side
 
Location
Situated below the west drive to south-west of the stables; formerly powered by the Afon Llifon.  

Description


Broad Class
Agriculture and Subsistence  
Period
 

History
Early C19 watermill, shown on an estate map of 1820’s that was altered in 1840’s. This mill could be of either date and may be contemporary with the rebuilding of the house. As built it was an estate water mill providing flour etc. but turbines were later installed so that it could provide electric power for the immediate estate. Recently converted to craft usage. Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.  

Exterior
2-storey mill built of local rubble under a slate roof with wide eaves. Red brick dressings to camber-headed arches including to central carriage arch on north-west side (now infilled). Otherwise square-headed openings with 4-pane windows with unusually thick frames; probably originally had sliding ventilation shutters to the lower lights. The power for the mill came from the Afon Llifon to an overshot waterwheel on the south-west end; the wheel is in situ but its buckets are missing. The wheel-pit is partly roofed over with a later sawmill lean-to attached beyond. The machinery survives here as does a reused cast-iron Ionic column (similar to those in the kitchen courtyard at the back of the house). The south-east side has skylights and otherwise similar detail. Toward the upper end is the added turbine house which is a broad, slate-hung, gabled cross-range with diamond leaded window; further gabled projection for 1st floor entrance reached across footbridge over a yard. The north-east end has a deep lean-to, the roof of which reaches almost to the higher ground level of the adjacent drive and has skylights; this lean-to wraps around the corner and returns along the north-west side. Boarded door with latticed overlight. Gently pointed archway adjoins watermill and links it with a adjacent ancillary range. The brick arch is set into a rubble wall. On west side of wall is a lean-to with 2-light window and boarded door; red-brick chimney. On the other side a similar lean-to and attached high screen wall with coping that runs north toward the drive.  

Interior
Despite conversion some machinery survives at south-west end with spur wheel and main drive in situ. Modern staircase leads to upper floor where one stone survives with its own horse and hopper; also one relocated dresser. The roof of queen-post trusses is of 5-bays. Slate flagged floors. Turbine house to rear, the upper floor of which was the Battery Room. Modern partitions.  

Reason for designation
Listed as a good example of an C19 estate watermill and for group value with other listed items at Glynllifon.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export