Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
20457
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
08/09/1998  
Date of Amendment
30/09/1999  
Name of Property
Eastern Walled Kitchen Garden  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Gwynedd  
Community
Llandwrog  
Town
 
Locality
Glynllifon  
Easting
245558  
Northing
355426  
Street Side
 
Location
Situated to east of the road up to the estate farm.  

Description


Broad Class
Domestic  
Period
 

History
The kitchen gardens were laid out by the 2nd Lord Newborough, the easternmost (the nearest to the house) of which was complete before 1824. The 1761 dated plaque on the south side is therefore misleading - it was presumably originally on the C18 walled garden south of the house. Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.  

Exterior
Typically these garden walls are rubble to the outside and English garden-wall bond red-brick on the inner side, with slate coping. There is some evidence, especially to the north, to suggest that the walls have been heightened - now approximately 3m high. On the west side the wall adjoins the current machinery workshops and has a brick pointed arch with boarded gate. Nearer its north end is a small round arched doorway with stone surround and a blocked opening almost at the corner with the north side. Against the north side of the garden are the remains of the boiler house retaining its red brick chimney stack. At the north-east corner is a derelict area with three further pointed arches; the central one is tall, presumably for a cart, and is surmounted by a plaque inscribed 'Victoria Jubilee 1897'. The wall returns back down the east side roughly parallel to a farm track. The south end wall is parallel with the cold frames on the back of the quadrangular complex and opposite the small gardeners' cottage. Over the arched entrance midway along this side is the inscribed slate plaque reading "This walled garden was made by Sir John Wynn Bart in the year 1761". As previously described this presumably relates to the C18 walled garden (?1751) and is further incorrect as Sir Thomas Wynn was the baronet in 1761 rather than his father Sir John.  

Interior
This garden was originally sub-divided into four unequal parts, those to the south being larger. The Peach House is against the north wall and was restored in 1991; lean-to Plum House to left. Further south is the melon pit which has had the woodwork and glass renewed but retains the original ironwork, pipework, slate flooring and humidity trays for the top of the hot pipes. It was designed by Foster and Pearson. The sundial was moved from the central garden where it stood in the middle. This garden was linked to the next walled garden to the west via an underground tunnel that ran under the road up to the farm. The tunnel was entered midway along the west side under a red brick segmental arch with voussoirs and arch ring. The tunnel itself is segmental vaulted and faced in yellow brick; it turns at right angles to south before rising into the next garden.  

Reason for designation
Listed for its special interest as the best preserved of the walled gardens at Glynllifon and for group value with the many listed items within this especially well-preserved C19 estate.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export