Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
21786
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
03/03/1999  
Date of Amendment
03/03/1999  
Name of Property
Former Ice Tower and Banqueting Hall  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Vale of Glamorgan  
Community
St. Bride's Major  
Town
 
Locality
Dunraven Park  
Easting
288935  
Northing
172831  
Street Side
 
Location
Located in the NE angle of the walled gardens at Dunraven Park.  

Description


Broad Class
Domestic  
Period
 

History
Dunraven Castle, an early C19 castellated gothic-style mansion, was situated on a cliff top overlooking the sea. The site has a long and almost continuous history, starting as an Iron Age hillfort. A Norman castle here was awarded to the de Londres family of Ogmore, and then to the Butlers. It was probably rebuilt in the C15 as a manor house, and recorded thus by Leland in the 1530s as a ‘the manor place’. It is shown in an engraving of c 1776 with features such as mullioned windows. At this time it is said to have included many of the older elements including a chapel and burial place. It passed to the Vaughans, then to the Wyndham family in the C16, and finally to the Earls of Dunraven. The castle was rebuilt in 1802-6 by Thomas Wyndham of Clearwell Castle, Gloucestershire, as a hunting seat. The design was drawn up by Mrs Wyndham, though it appears to be based on the design for Clearwell Castle, by Roger Morris, 1728. It was remodelled in 1858 by Egbert Moxham, for Caroline Wyndham; the central tower was replaced by a conservatory and the N and S wings were raised. It was extended with a tower and wing on the seaward side by George Devey in 1886-8. The castle was demolished in 1962, having been used as a hotel, and only the footings survive. The park was a deer park in the C17. The park walls, lodges, entrances and drives are probably contemporary with the rebuilding of the house in 1802-6. The sea walks in the park were designed by Lord Dunraven in 1840.  

Exterior
Round tower of rubble stone with embattled parapets and machicolations. Raised floor, with ice-house in semi-basement. Tall windows with stone dressings and trefoiled heads to NW, SE and SW. Matching doorway to NE approached by exterior stone steps within stone retaining walls which have concrete copings and metal handrails. Above the doorway is a square-headed corbelled tablet, containing a recess below a segmental arch with voussoirs. Attached to the recessed portion is a circular plaque of grey stone bearing a coat of arms. There is a low masonry projection to the W with a flat slate-covered roof, which also abuts the exterior N wall of the gardens. In the W end is an open ironwork gate under a segmental arch which provided access into the ice-house.  

Interior
The interior of the former banqueting hall has been restored. It has a flagstone floor, boarded ceiling and the walls are rendered and plastered. The ice-house was viewed from the gate. Steps lead down to a passage, half way along which are rebates for a door. At the end of the passage, 2 steps lead up to the ice chamber which has a domed roof and deep pit.  

Reason for designation
Listed as an unusual structure of great character. Group value with attached garden walls and other listed items in Dunraven Park.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export