Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Located approx. 0.35km WSW of the centre of Penegoes, on the E side of a minor lane running S from A489; the mill pond on E side is fed from the Afon Crewi.
Felin Crewi is said to have begun as a fulling mill in the late C16, and to have been enlarged and converted to a corn mill in 1740, although the present building appears later. Two small buildings are shown in the location of the mill and miller's house on the Tithe map of 1840, described in the apportionment as 'House, garden and mill', owned by Sir Watkin Williams Wynne, and occupied by Edward Humphrys. The attached stable and kiln are probably early to mid C19.
A wooden mill wheel of 2.9m diameter was replaced circa 1900 by an iron wheel of 3.8m. Milling stopped in 1940, and machinery was dismantled. The mill was restored to full working order in 1985 with machinery from Felin Ffridd, including an iron wheel of 4.7m. A cast-iron spur wheel gear drives 2 pairs of stones from the spur, and sack-hoist from a crown wheel. The stones were manufactured by E Davies and Son, 22 Cheapside, Liverpool.
In 4 main blocks: tall 3-storey mill to R; lower narrower former stable block with accommodation over to centre; single-storey kiln to L. To the rear is the former miller's house, now modernised with additions.
A 3-storey 3-window mill with irregular openings, of local grey rubble stone with long quoins under a slate roof. Late C20 small-pane wooden glazing, including casements and top-hung windows of various sizes, mainly under concrete lintels. Entrance to L, with late C20 split-doors under a timber lintel reached by stone steps. Two windows to R of door. Part string-course to 1st floor, above entrance. Three irregular windows to 1st floor, 3 skylights to roof-pitch lighting 2nd floor. Attached to the R-hand gable end is a large iron water-wheel, the pond dammed above it. Window offset to R at 1st floor level; gable window to 2nd floor. The L-hand return has a gable window lighting the 2nd floor, and windows offset to R at 1st and ground floor levels, in front of adjoining stable block.
The lower narrower former stable block is 3-storey and 2-window, of painted rubble stone under a slate roof. Wide entrance to R, containing split doors with adjacent window and timber boarding. Irregular late C20 small-pane wooden glazing; 2 windows to L of entrance, the 1st and 2nd floors both 2-window. Single-storey former kiln adjoining to L, also of painted rubble stone, with hipped slate roof sweeping down to L. Boarded door to R and 2 windows to L. The L-hand return has 2 large skylights to roof-pitch, and further L, a 2-storey gabled bay with casement window above a boarded door.
The mill contains a complete set of machinery, re-introduced during the restoration of 1985. The basic timber structure inside the mill is original, but features such as floors and stairs were altered in 1985 to improve public access and safety.
On the ground floor at the R end, a full set of machinery is visible through a timber-framed partition with glass screen. This includes a cast iron spur wheel, which drives the stones on the 1st floor, a gear wheel and weighting machinery to the R. A beam, not in its original position, reads 'HW 1759'. Late C20 stairs to 1st floor, which has a pair of millstones, and a wheel to a sack hoist. The ceiling has stop-chamfered cross-beams. Loft has timber partitions with king-post roof trusses, but modern purlins.
Reason for designation
Listed as a good survival of a water-powered corn mill with associated buildings, retaining its historic character. The water-wheel and machinery, though re-introduced from elsewhere, contribute to the interest of the building.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]