Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Viewing Tower in Clyne Gardens
Approximately 250m SE of Clyne Castle amidst rhododendron plantation.
Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Clyne Castle was owned by the Vivian family, one of the most prominent of the Swansea industrial families, between 1860 and 1952. The first occupant, William Graham Vivian, focused his attentions on alterations to the house, and made a new entrance drive with lodge on the S side. Admiral Algernon Walker-Heneage-Vivian, who lived in the house between 1921 and 1952, extended the pleasure grounds in front of the house, where there are 3 National Collections of Rhododendrons and National Collections of Enkianthus and Pieris. The viewing tower was built in 1928 and allows the rhododendrons to be inspected at close quarters. After Vivian's death in 1952 the house and grounds were sold to the Borough of Swansea, which opened the former pleasure grounds in 1954 as a pubic park, now known as Clyne Gardens.
A rubble-stone pillar approximately 5m high. An embattled parapet projects on a corbel table. Around the outside is a cantilevered concrete spiral stair with plain iron balusters.
Reason for designation
Listed as an unusual component of a rhododendron plantation of national importance, and for group value as an integral component of Clyne Gardens and Castle.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]