Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Boiler stack of former Cardonnel Tinplate Works
Neath Port Talbot
Situated in woodland E of Cwrt y Bettws farm and on the E side of the M4 and W of the Tennant Canal.
Cardonnel Tinplate Works was opened in 1891 with 3 mills, subsequently increased to 4. It was a comparatively small tinplate works but part of the large-scale expansion of the tinplate industry in the Neath and Swansea district in the late C19. Production ceased c1934 after its acquisition by Richard Thomas & Co. The premises were requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply in 1942 and the buildings were offered for sale in 1948, after which most of the buildings were probably taken down. The stack was probably associated with the boilers raising steam for the rolling mill engines.
A tall square brick stack laid in English garden wall bond. Bricks are missing to the angles at the base, while on the W side is a blocked opening. The cap is composed of projecting bands of brickwork with larger copings.
Reason for designation
Listed for its industrial archaeological interest as a rare survival of a once important local industry.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]