Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bakehouse at Gelli Farm
Neath Port Talbot
Located immediately S of the farmhouse.
The bakehouse was probably built in the early C17 contemporary with the farm house. It is mentioned in wills of 1701 and 1727, where Thomas Jenkins and Jenkin Thomas respectively left the bakehouse for the use of their wives, indicating that the loft above provided sleeping accommodation in addition to the main house, although it was probably originally used by farm hands. An additional unit, probably incorporating a granary given its external stair, was added on the N side c1820.
A 2-unit bakehouse of a single storey with attic, of rubble stone and a roof of corrugated asbestos cement sheets. A butt joint clearly separates the earlier unit on the W side with the later unit to the E. On the N side, facing the house, the W unit has a doorway with a chamfered lintel and drip stone, and a boarded door. An opening is inserted upper R below the eaves. The E unit has a doorway under a lintel and drip stone, with a boarded door. To the L are external stone steps leading to an attic door in the gable end (obscured by vegetation at the time of inspection). In the rear are inserted windows L and R and an added lean-to in the centre.
The earlier W unit retains its original oven together with an added C19 brick range. The loft floor has been removed. A single coupled truss survives. The E unit was not inspected.
Reason for designation
Listed as an integral part of a farm constructed on the unit system and as part of an impressive farm group including Gelli Farm, Gelli Farm Cottage and barn and cow house.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]