Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Barn and Cow House at Gelli Farm
Neath Port Talbot
On the SW side of the farmhouse.
Agriculture and Subsistence
Built in 1717, the date placed on a lintel over the N doorway, now removed. It was extended in 1820 (date on building).
Aligned E-W with the barn on the E side and cow house on the W side, constructed of rubble stone with a roof of corrugated plastic sheets. On the N side is a doorway L of centre to the wagon bay, under a wooden lintel with drip stone and with later stable door. The lintel was inserted in 1932 replacing a lintel dated 1717. The doorway is flanked by ventilation strips, infilled on the R side. The cowhouse to the R has a doorway with wooden lintel and drip stone and a loft opening above with an inserted brick jamb. In the E (uphill) gable end has a ventilation strip lower R, and an inserted loft opening has wooden lintel and brick jambs. The lower gable end also has an inserted loft window with wooden lintel and brick jambs. To the rear is a kennel housed in a catslide-roofed outshut and dated 1820 with the initials 'TI' to the SE angle. The angle on the SW side is rounded.
Reason for designation
Listed as a multi-purpose farm building, of a type commonly built in C18 Glamorgan, and for group value with Gelli Farm, Gelli Farm Cottage and Bakehouse as part of an impressive farm group.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]