Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
,1 Gelli Houses,Gelli,,
Neath Port Talbot
Approximately 1.1km E of Cymmer and set back from the A4107.
Erected in 1883 for colliers at nearby pits owned by the Glyncorrwg Coal Mining Company. The single-storey construction is unusual and the Gelli Houses represent one of the latest examples of the type. Of four-room construction with a lean-to pantry at the back, only two of the rooms were originally heated. The houses originally shared a communal bakehouse but this had been demolished by 1904.
1-12 Gelli Houses
Two rows of 6 double-fronted houses are placed end-to-end but not quite parallel. The rubble-stone walls are now rendered, the roofs have been renewed and most of the brick stacks survive, some rendered. The windows and doors are replaced, mostly in original openings.
Enlarged windows and replaced tile roof.
Reason for designation
Listed as a rare surviving row of single-storey colliers' cottages, representing a distinctive plan form used in the early mining cottages on the western side of the South Wales coalfield.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]