Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Located in the centre of the village immediately NE of the churchyard. At the corner of George Street and Yr Allt.
Built as parish offices and dated 1873. For a time in the C20 the building was used for emergency housing and by the local rugby club. It became the offices of the community council in 1974.
Tall narrow range in Gothic style. Two storeys and basement with gable end facade. The front faces S and is of coursed sandstone, the sides and rear rendered, all under a slate roof with stone eaves stack to W side. The front has rusticated quoins, a dressed stone plinth and projecting sill bands to each storey. Narrow pointed door and window openings with rusticated stone surrounds. Former sash windows replaced in uPVC. The doorway to the far R contains a late C20 wood panelled door with plain overlight. A pair of single pointed lights are to the L within a larger rusticated blind arch. To its R, beneath the upper storey sill band, is a wide stone tablet inscribed 'Parish Offices 1873'. To the upper storey are 3 adjoining single lights in the centre, and a circular louvre in the gable apex.
The W wall has rusticated quoins and is dominated by the centrally-placed stack. Stone surrounds to windows which contain uPVC glazing. The upper storey has 2 windows with segmental heads, symmetrically placed on either side of the stack. Narrow pointed windows to ground floor, a single light to the L without a stone surround, and a pair of lights in the centre. A circular slate plaque dated 1997 is fixed to the wall to the R. Two small square windows to far L to basement storey, in heavy stone surround and with segmental heads. The lower storey of the E side abuts an adjacent building and there are no openings above. The N gable end has a circular louvre to the apex.
Inside the front door is a narrow stair hall. Dog-leg staircase to rear, at the base of which is a moulded archway with scrolled imposts. Two reception rooms to the L have been made into one. The council chamber is upstairs.
Reason for designation
Listed as an unusual civic building retaining its Gothic character and for group value with the church.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]