Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Raglan Baptist Chapel
Situated set back from Usk Road in lawned yard, approached by path from road.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Baptist Chapel of c1860 in red brick. There are records of an Ebenezer Chapel on Usk Road from 1820-37, in the Public Records Office.
Baptist Chapel, red brick, with C20 concrete tiles to hipped roof. Rectangular plan, entry from short end. Flat boarded eaves. Three-bay E front has arched windows in arched recesses, the centre window half-length, over double 4-panel doors. Brick door head and window arches. Facade is framed by raised angle strips and band under eaves. Flat-roofed timber porch on 2 iron columns. Affixed Phoenix Insurance plaque.
Long 3-window side walls with similar arched long windows, not recessed. Windowless rear with small gabled vestry attached, with 2 W windows and N end door. Chapel windows are renewed in C20, square-paned with radiating bars to arched heads. Stone sills. Brickwork is Flemish bond to front, and a varied garden-wall bond elsewhere.
Plain later pews and pulpit, later C19 or early C20 organ behind pulpit, by Blackett & Howden. Entrance end gallery with enclosed stairs at NE. Gallery is on 2 thin fluted iron columns. Timber grained gallery front, vertical panels with cornice beneath and moulded top rail. Plaster ceiling with coved cornice and 3 acanthus roses.
Reason for designation
Included as a mid C19 chapel with late Georgian style detail in fine brickwork and retaining gallery within.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]