The building is rendered and painted, probably over stone; with ashlar, probably Bath limestone, and Welsh slate and lead roofs. Large rectangular double depth block with two major wings added at a later date.
There are three major historic building phases, and then large additions, one of which is attached, since WWII. Some of the changes and repairs post date the fire of 1990.
Original block: This is two storeys and attics and is recognisably the same building as in the 1752 and 1793 prints when the entrance was on the east front.This shows the classic late C17 house shape with 3:3:3 windows with the centre recessed between projecting wings which have hipped roofs. All the windows are sashes in architrave frames and all are six over nine panes except for windows 2, 3, 7 and 9 (from left) on the upper floor which are six over six, and the three centre ones on the upper floor which are nine over nine. The house most probably did not have sash windows originally and in 1793 appeared to have all the same type, six over six, so the others will be early C19 changes, probably a part of the Capel Hanbury Leigh changes which include the three bay projecting ashlar extension in the centre of the ground floor. This has six over six sashes in architrave surrounds with a frame of Doric pilasters, cornice and parapet. Timber cornice carrying gutter, lead covered parapet.This extension replaced the previous pedimented front door. Roof with five flat topped dormers with slate cheeks and six over six sashes. There are no surviving chimneys.
South front: This is also recognisable from the 1752 and 1793 prints.It has eight windows arranged in pairs, all are six over nine sashes in architrave frames. The whole front is in the same plane, but projecting in front of bays 3 and 4 is a four column Tuscan portico with a balustraded parapet.This is an early C19 alteration when it replaced the front door on the east front. The panelled double doors in architrave surround is also a change of this period. The 1752 print appears to show that the staircase was originally in the centre of this front. Cornice, parapet, hipped roof, with four dormers all as above.
West wing: This is probably late C18 for it seems to be the tower which appears in the 1793 print.It is said to date from 1752-65; and does not appear in the 1752 print.Two higher storeys and five windows, the three centre ones forming a canted bay through both floors. All are six over nine sashes in architrave surrounds except for the centre one on the ground floor which is in a triple arched recess and has an arched headed top sash. Cill band on both floors. Cornice, parapet, roof not visible in this section.
Library wing:This was added in 1880 by John Hanbury Leigh. It has nine windows arranged 2:5:2 with 4 and 6 blind on the first floor. All are one over one plate glass sashes with architrave surrounds.The centre bay on the ground floor is a doorway. Hipped roof. The end of this wing has an additional door and window on the ground floor.
Rear courtyard:This is partly from the early/mid C19 changes.The kitchen wing backs onto the Library, but is shown already in situ on the c1800 plan. Five windows, eight over eight sashes with hoods on brackets, nine over nine sash in the end wall. Hipped roof.The wing on the north side of the courtyard is similar but with three storeys in part.The staircase in the original block has its own hipped roof and a very large and unusual window (probably of 1827-29), tripartite, and of 42 panes. Single storey projection beneath this. Small additional block from the 1840's attached to south west wing.This is perhaps a dairy and game larder. It has a window with cast iron lozenge glazing and hood mould.