Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated in centre of Bethesda, to W of Ogwen Terrace.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Independent Chapel first built c1820-3, rebuilt 1840 and remodelled 1872-5. This is the chapel from which the town took its name, having previously been known as Glanogwen. Since listing in 1988 the chapel has fallen derelict and the fine interior of l872-5 has gone. Condition in 1996 very poor.
Large scale chapel, the main structure probably of 1840, with hipped slate roof, and rendered basement-and-two-storey side elevations, but given an ornate painted stucco facade in 1872-5. This facade is two-storey, three-bay, the centre bay with dentilled pediment raised high over lettered panel `BETHESDA'. Flanking bays have flat blocking courses and outer angles have panelled pedestals with ogee-curved caps. Whole facade has first floor Corinthian order, frieze and dentilled cornice, broken forward four times at angles of main divisions. Outer angles have paired pilasters, centre bay has curiously broad channelled pilasters framing a slightly recessed minor order of two pilasters and outer quarter-pilasters. These frame three long sash windows, the outer two narrower. Outer bays each have large sash with marginal-bars to glazing and full pedimented architrave with keystone. A sill course broken forward below pilasters and windows divides the floors. Below, the outer bays each have broad channelled angle pier and large rusticated arched doorcase to double panelled doors with tall stilted fanlight. Moulded impost bands. Centre has monumental recessed entry with channelled Corinthian broad outer piers paired with baseless Tuscan columns, supporting full entablature with dentilled cornice and panelled band above, up to first floor sill-course. Within porch, double-panelled doors each side.
Sides have 4-window range of cambered-headed sashes on 2 storeys and basement below. Similar 4-window rear, blank lower windows.
Fine classical interior described in 1988 listing has been destroyed apart from some panels to the ceiling.
Reason for designation
Key feature in the townscape of the centre of Bethesda.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]