Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
4409
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
01/04/1974  
Date of Amendment
26/09/2005  
Name of Property
Slate Wharf  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Gwynedd  
Community
Porthmadog  
Town
 
Locality
Porthmadog  
Easting
256856  
Northing
337958  
Street Side
 
Location
Forming the W side of Porthmadog Harbour S of the Madoc Yacht Club, and extending along the mouth of Afon Glaslyn opposite Cei Ballast.  

Description


Broad Class
Maritime  
Period
 

History
Porthmadog Harbour was developed from the 3rd decade of the C19, at first by landowner and improver William Madocks (1773-1828). Madocks had reclaimed a large tract of land known as Traeth Mawr, that formed the estuary of the Afon Glaslyn, by building a Great Embankment (now known as The Cob) 1808-11. One of the fortuitous consequences of diverting the river was that it swept away sandbanks to leave a deep natural harbour ideal for serving the region's growing slate industry. The Act of Parliament for Porthmadog Harbour was passed in 1821. By 1824 the new port was already ready to receive vessels of up to 70 tons (71.12 tonnes) laden. The engineer was John Williams, and the contractor Griffith Griffith. In 1833 Samuel Lewis said it was accessible to vessels of 300 tons burden, and noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Imports were mainly timber, coal and lime. Exports were chiefly slate and copper ore. In 1825 11,396 tons of slate were exported, rising to 31,200 tons in 1840, 51,109 tons in 1854 and 168,947 tons in 1884, although the growth in volume disguised the decreasing profitability of slate exports. Shipbuilding also became a major local industry from the 1850s to the 1870s, with a further revival between 1891 and 1913, when Porthmadog was noted for building 3-masted schooners. To comply with the provisions of the Act of Parliament, Madocks had a short stone quay built at Cornhill, which henceforth became the commercial centre of the port. Slate Companies who purchased wharves were responsible for building their own quays, the first of whom was Samuel Holland of Liverpool in 1836, who had purchased Rhiwbryfdir Quarry in 1820. The N end of Slate Wharf was built by the Welsh Slate Company, who began transporting slates on the Ffestioniog Railway in 1839, and is shown on the 1842 Tithe map. Slate Wharf had been lengthened to its present extent by 1871.  

Exterior
A long wharf approximately 650m long and oriented roughly N-S, of battered coursed stone in large blocks, with stone steps at the N end by the Madoc Yacht Club, and a slipway at the S end.  

Interior
 

Reason for designation
Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved C19 wharf and for its important contribution to the overall historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export