Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Isle of Anglesey
Llanfihangel Tre'r Beirdd
Set back from the W side of the country road running northwards through the village of Capel Coch; the windmill is at the S end of the village.
Probably one of the oldest surviving windmills on Anglesey, thought to date to mid C18. Was listed in the Slaters Directory of 1883, with Hugh Pritchard as miller; and by the time of the 1895 directory his wife had taken over. Not long after this entry the mill was irreparably damaged in a storm and never worked again. Now in use as outbuilding.
Full height, 3-storey, circular windmill tower. Sloping wall of mortared sandstone rubble masonry, partly rendered; roofless. Rectangular window openings at 1st and 2nd floors; doorway faces the road to E. Openings have rough voussoir heads.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Reason for designation
Listed as a substantially intact windmill tower, one of only 18 surviving on Anglesey. In early-mid C19 there were over 40 windmills operating on the island, grinding the large volumes of corn then being produced. Melin Llidiart is of interest as one of the earliest windmills recorded on the island.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]