Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Sunny Hill Farmhouse
300 m S of the Ridgeway, 500 m W of turning to St Florence.
A large 2-storey C18 house. Before the Pembroke and Tenby railway was built in 1863 the house was approached by an elm-lined avenue from Jameston, of which only traces now remain.
The house consists of 3 units, each of 3 windows, a nine-window range in all, facing S. The right hand (E) unit is the parlour, and is of contrasting construction to the remainder. It is of timber studding with shingles to the front elevation and boarding to the side and rear elevations. The left and centre units are of local stone, the front being rendered and scored. The central unit contains a room plus entrance and stairs. The left unit contains the kitchen.
The roof is hipped each end and slated, with tile ridges. There are 4 large chimney stacks: 2 chimney stacks side by side where the left unit abuts the centre unit, and 2 likewise where the centre unit abuts the right unit. All the 4 stacks are of pale red brick with ornamental cornices. The latter 2, serving the entrance hall and the parlour respectively, are in brick of a slightly different colour, a further indication that the parlour unit is not contemporary with the rest of the house. There is a cellar beneath the parlour unit only.
The 4-pane windows of the left and centre units have replaced C19 sashes. Those of the parlour unit are original 12-pane windows with hornless sashes. The upper window in the end wall of the parlour is a Palladin window. Main entrance archway is round-arched with tile features and splayed buttresses, probably c.1900. The main doors behind it are elliptical headed with interlaced glazing bars, and they open outwards.
Rear wing to the kitchen unit. Rear extension for stairs etc, to the centre unit with triple gables facing N.
Six-panel doors with matching fielded panels to linings and soffits. Door to space beneath stairs is of 2 panels with H hinges. Easy staircase with close string. Rectangular newels with moulded handrail. The upper flight has a Chinese style balustrade, unlikely to be before c.1760. Dentillated plaster cornice in the parlour.
Reason for designation
Listed as an C18 farmhouse of importance to the locality.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]