Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Neath Port Talbot
Substantial industrialist''''s villa of c1850-60, built for Griffith Lewis, joint owner of the Primrose Colliery Co with his cousin Morgan. He also owned the Ynysmeudwy pottery for some years. Interiors altered c1900 for daughter who married Ernest Henry Hall, first local councillor and owner of the colliery until c1918. Occupied in 1926 by Thomas Dixon, secretary of the South Wales Primrose Coal Co. A former coach-house is dated 1857. There was a house on the site recorded from the C16, and part may be incorporated in the rear wing. An addition of the 1930s removed a two-storey bay window on the rear wall. Carefully restored in late C20.
Villa, painted stucco with slate eaves roof and brick stacks. Two storeys, 3-window front with renewed chimney to right end. Large 16-pane sash windows with moulded architraves, and also cornices on console brackets to ground floor windows. Centre half-glazed door with overlight in large stuccoed Roman Doric porch with two columns, pilaster responds and cornice with triglyph and rosette frieze. Stone plinth. Left end wall has large stucco bay window of 8-16-8-pane sashes and 16-pane sash over. Right end wall has added lean-to with C20 sash to front end. Rear wing to left of left end gable was 2-window range, but left half now separate property. Right part has large sash of 16-panes with additional marginal panes, over French window with small panes and centre lozenge to each door. Lean-to veranda with iron column. Back of rear wing has long 15-pane stair light, back of right side of main range has earlier C20 addition.
Spacious interior with panelled doors, deep skirtings, moulded cornices and panelled shutters. Staircase with scrolled tread ends, turned slim balusters and continuous thin rail. Embossed paper Art Nouveau friezes in main rooms of c.1900-10. Front door has panelled shutters to top half. Entrance hall has ceilings in 2 square panels with corbels between. Drawing room to left has panelled shutters, very large to bay window, Art Nouveau frieze late C20 plaster copy of original in Music Room and marble fireplace. Music Room to right has Art Nouveau frieze amd embossed paper ceiling decoration. C20 fireplace. Rear kitchen has panelled reveals to deep entrance, simple cornice and French windows with shutters. Access to cellar under stairs. First floor large bedroom each end and smaller room between. Fireplaces with grates and tiles, the one in corner bedroom with Art Nouveau grate. Bedroom over kitchen with fireplace with curved-ended panels and corner roundels, and grate with tiles.
Reason for designation
Included for its architectural interest as a substantial mid Victorian villa in late Georgian style, with good interior detail. The rear block, in separate ownership, is not included.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]