Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Located in the Severn valley, approximately 1Km N of the village, and accessed by a farm road off the A.470.
A major later C17 3-bay lobby entry farmhouse which may have originated as an open hall house, to which a storeyed porch was added in 1707. Two storey 2-bay double range extension at the rear of c.1830, with a twin-gables. The house was remodelled and extended to the NE in the early C19. The property was acquired by John Read JP and high sheriff, formerly of Carmarthenshire, from Lord Herbert of Chirbury in the mid C17. In 1870 it was held by O.M. Crewe Read, who was to build Plâs Dinam, and it was, later in the century, associated with the Davies family of Llandinam.
A major timber framed farmhouse with whitewashed infill panels and a slate roof. Two storeys. The framing is close studded to the ground floor, and diamond pattern above, the upper register now largely removed by windows. The two-storey porch is also close studded, jettied on 3 sides at first floor level with a ovolo-moulded bressumer inscribed IR + ID 170II EE, and with tapered pendents at the corners. Fluted-moulded door. An applied inscription repeats that on the porch of Plâs Dinam. The NE end is C19, with painted false framing and a gabled single-storey porch with balustered side lights and seats. Nine-paned casement windows to the ground floor, paned timber windows in almost continuous range above. The SW gable end, containing the parlour stack, is of painted brick, with the slate hanging of the early C19 rear wing extended to the part external stack. Sixteen-pane sashes to the rear wing.
The interior has been altered in the C19 with the replacement of the central stack by an angled stack on the rear wall heating a lobby intervening between the early hall, right of the porch, and the parlour at the SW end. The hall, which has deeply chamfered beams with cut stops dividing the ceiling into 6 compartments, has a timber framed partition to the former inner room (NE end) with two door openings with depressed ogee heads. Panelling of c.1680. The parlour has moulded ceiling beams. On the first floor some wattle and daub infilling to the frame has been exposed. The stair, in the rear wing, has bracketed treads and handrail wreathed at the bottom. The roof has 5 trusses with straight windbraces over the early part; one tier of purlins clasped between a cambered collar and principal rafters, the truss over the parlour having diminished principals, ornate head and curved feet.
Reason for designation
Included as a significant timber framed house on a large scale, with good well-preserved internal features and fittings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]