Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Maesmawr Hall Hotel  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
The hotel is located in the Severn valley bottom, at the end of a formal axial drive off the main Newtown to Llanidloes Road, 700m E of the junction with the A.470 to Machynlleth and level crossing.  


Broad Class

Maesmawr (the appelation Hall was added in the C19) was the seat of Griffith Lloyd, High Sheriff in 1571, and probably as early as 1470. It was the home of the High Sheriff in 1637 and to Parliamentarian sheriffs during the civil war, at which time it suffered a serious fire. The present building was probably a rebuild shortly after the war, in c.1663 and occupied by Edward Davies who died in 1669, although it has been claimed to be later (c.1712-7). The house was considerably extended in 1874 by W.E.Nesfield for the Davies family. It is a Severn-Valley type house, with storeyed porch set in front of a lobby entry, leading to hall on the left, and parlour on the right, and stair to the rear of the stack. The former timber-framed back wing has been subsumed into a large parallel brick wing, painted with framing, and the C19 extension at right angles on the W side.  

The C17 building is constructed with close-studded timber framing, jettied on all sides, enhanced with decorative quadrant braces in many upper square panels, and an unusual course of baluster shaped studs above the jetties of porch and main range. The dominent wide storeyed porch contains the recessed entrance, and 2 chambers on the upper level. Windows are C20 replacements of the C19 diamond paned lights, set into the framing. Slate roof. Cluster of stone diagonally set chimney shafts. The W side is of c1874, rendered brickwork, with a slate roof. Symmetrical, with three gables interleaved by two smaller gables. The central gable has a square bay with mullioned and transomed window and a stepped-head 4-light window in the gable. The remaining glazing is irregular, the larger being timber mullioned and transomed. Some good C19 diamond glazed windows survive. At the junction of the rear parallel range there is a small first floor window with intersecting glazing bars in a pointed head.  

The outer hall within the porch steps down into the former great hall, which has a 9-bay ceiling, divided by ogee stopped chamfered beams, with dragon beams at the corners, the plaster panels over the joists having simple run plaster cornices. Large axial fireplace, with overmantle composed with assembled fragments of C17 panelling or furniture. The main dog-leg oak stair rises at the rear of the stack, and has a heavy moulded handrail and spindle turned balusters, part restored. The former parlour, now the Wainscot Room, is fully panelled with small square C17 panelling with a reeded top panel and cornice. The fireplace has a C17 part-linenfold overmantle, monogrammed AC and VAC, and an arched fire surround with heraldic spandrels. C19 built-in shelving. Nesfield replaced the rear service room, known as the Aisle, with the dining room, supplied with an enriched plaster cornice, and central ceiling rose.  

Reason for designation
Included in Grade II* as a well preserved major C17 house of the Severn Valley regional type; it is of special interest for its planning and for the quality of its framing and interior fittings.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]