Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated on W side of main road at Abermagwr.
Mid to later C19 sawmill, formerly the estate sawmill for Trawsgoed, with waterwheel dated 1868.
Sawmill, rubble stone and timber with corrugated iron hipped roof. Long 2-storey range, essentially an open ground floor with stone corner piers and loft floor above. Rubble stone infill to most of N wall with outside water-wheel in open-fronted stone-ended lean-to. Large cast-iron wheel in wheel-pit, with iron spokes, rim marked Davies & Durie Aberystwyth 1868. Left wall of lean-to pierced for a timber launder. To right of lean-to is an open bay with C20 timber steps up to loft door, timber lintel below over boarded-in ground floor bay. W end has corner piers, open ground floor, boarded above, abutted by c2000 open barn. S side also with added open lean-to has loft supported on 2 (originally 3) cast iron columns with iron lintels, open upper floor. E end has C20 boarding to loft with fixed 8-pane window, ground floor small boarded lean-to to left, window and door to right. one iron column carrying iron lintel.
Open ground floor with belt-driven circular saws, iron axial lintel back from E end to iron column.
Reason for designation
Included as remarkably complete survival of a C19 water-powered sawmill.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]