Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Chapel of St. Michael's College
Within St. Michael's College and a part of the quadrangular group.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Built in 1957-9 to replace two bombed ranges of the College which had included the Chapel. Designed by George Pace who was Cathedral Architect at the time and engaged on the rebuilding of the Cathedral after war damage.
Local stone rubble walls in an uneven four sided shape. Slate roof, which is little visible from the ground. The side walls are punched through with many small and very small rectangular windows and with only lightly expressed frames. Plain entrance under an asymmetrical gable in a canted wall. Small metal figure of St. Michael by Frank Roper. The whole has an apparently deliberate barn-like rather than an ecclesiastical appearance.
Interior not available at resurvey. It is reported as having white plastered walls and ceiling with a coved transition and with the light all coming from the right. Blank white altar wall with Christ in Majesty by Harry Stammers. Fittings and pews by Pace, but with the altar and some stalls by GF Bodley which survived the bombing of the earlier chapel, 1907 by F R Kempson. '...the interior is truly moving...The architect has created a numinous space...without introducing a single evocation of the traditional forms of church architecture'. (Newman, Glamorgan)
Reason for designation
Included at II* for its exceptional Modernist architecture as an important post-WWII chapel designed by George Pace, and having historic continuity within the bomb damaged St. Michael's College.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]